BC Ferries’ website this week revealed that the mid-afternoon sailings at weekends will return to the schedule for the busier weekends this winter, starting with Christmas and New Year.
The latest update to our ferry schedule indicates that the “missing” weekend sailings at 1.50pm from Gabriola and 2.25pm from Nanaimo will be back in the schedule over the following weekends:
- Saturday December 23 / Sunday December 24 (Christmas)
- Saturday December 30 / Sunday December 31 (New Year)
- Saturday February 10 / Sunday February 11 (BC Family Day Weekend)
- Saturdays March 17, 24 / Sundays March 18, 25 (Schools Spring Break)
- Saturday March 31 (Easter weekend)
We anticipate that further additional dates may be announced soon.
Earlier this year, your Ferry Advisory Committee submitted an outline business case for the reinstatement of these weekend sailings, which were removed from the schedule in 2014 as part of the previous government’s efficiency savings. In 2016, they were reinstated during July and August for a 2-year trial which has now been confirmed as permanent. The FAC’s request for reinstatement on a year-round basis (or at least for a longer period each year) is due to be determined this month.